Monday, February 18, 2008

Mystery Months and Magnum








For the last couple of months, we have been planning a trip of my (Julie's) family to come to visit over the three day weekend. I thought this was going to be just a casual visit but instead it was a front for a surprise party for my 40th birthday which as I am writing this has not yet happened!
Last Friday, my brother John and his son Arthur rode up with Mom and Dad in a 6 hour + car ride from Oregon. They arrived later than I expected but in time to make pizza for dinner and watch the Sound of Music before crashing on the couches. It is always funny to watch this well loved movie with the entire family as all the commentaries and quoting happen through the 3 hour epic. Saturday, I woke up at 6am not able to breathe out of my nose. So without waking anyone, I jumped into the steaming hot showing trying to open breathing passages. Afterwards, I headed for coffee to wake me up and heat up my throat. I did not want to be sick for a family visit.
After breakfast and a neighborhood coffee time, we all ventured to the park to give Arthur a chance to run. And run for an entire hour he did...nonstop. All of us went to the park except Randy. No doubt he was plotting or planning or emailing or phoning the rest of party clan.
When we arrived home, Randy announced that we had to wait until 3pm to catch the ferry in Edmonds. At the time I thought this was weird because I thought the ferries ran every hour. Being that it was noon and that I did not feel great, I was hoping to drink more herbal tea and take a nap until we got on the ferry. I announce my nap plan to Randy who insisted I take cold medicine and take a nap. He even went so far to tuck me in to bed. The medication made me super drowsy and I would have slept soundly but a bird flew in to the window and then I could not fall back to sleep. So, instead I went downstair and joined the rest of the family for lunch.
We caught the 3pm ferry from Edmonds to Kingston and cruised around a quilt shop. It was a good thing for our pocketbook that I was not feeling well or i would have been tempted into buying beautiful fabrics. I am sure they would have jumped into my arms.
When we got to the house, I forgot my house key and had to go in through the garage. Upon opening the door I noted grass skirt type decorations on the stair rail and said "What are the decorations for?" and then "SURPRISE!" Randy's mom, my neighbor, my cousin, and lots of friends and family members were in our living room! Not only that but several had on Hawaiian shirts. Being that I was not feeling grand, I was wearing a fleece jacket to keep warm. Several minutes into the party I was redirected to go put on a Hawaiian shirt.

So at the party my dad dressed up as Higgins with the mustache and all and Randy looked like a clean shaven Magnum. In the background someone put in the first season of Magnum which was surprisingly watched by many during different times of the party. My brother and friend, Julie and I did our version of hula dancing and laughed.

I felt extremely honored that so many people came and sent cards and called to wish me a happy birthday. Randy, John, Joyce, my parents, my neighbor, family and friends had all coordinated to make this a special day. When you think about that, having those type of relationships is the best blessing of all!

No comments: