Monday, August 11, 2008

Roseburg and the North Umpqua







For our second anniversary we decided to drive down to Southern Oregon and visit friends we hadn't seen, go to church and then go camping up the North Umpqua River. Our stay in Roseburg was about 36 hours. In that short time, we managed to at least say "Hello" to about twenty of my friends whom we hadn't seen in about two years. Most of these friends were at church and it felt a little frantic trying to catch up with everyone. I wanted to genuinely hear all about their lives and families, but it so hard to catch up in an hour after a service. Randy and I were able to see the old house where I used to live and spend a little time with the Schumakers. It felt like going home, except my old home has been remodeled and hardly looks like the place I lived for seven years with my dog and cat.
Monday, after a lovely time with Pastor Steve at a coffee shop and one last visit with Laura and family, we journeyed up the North Umpqua River to the Horseshoe Bend camp ground. My favorite spot on the river was available so we pitched our tent. With the weather in the 90s, it was nice to have the river nearby to dip in to cool off. Believe me, it was cold snow run off and didn't take long to bring down body temperatures.
On our actual anniversary, we hiked up to Watson Falls! This is the second highest water fall in Oregon. We spent a long time sitting on a rock taking in the mist of the falls as it crashed down on the rocks. A perfect day!

No comments: