Monday, February 22, 2010

Inspired by Olympians

Watching the Olympics has been inspirational. Especially, the determination and strength I found in the woman's skiing events. These women were fast and some fell and survived (even got up and walked off the course to compete the next day, and win gold!) In all honesty, when I set out for my run on Saturday, I was not thinking about these women but by the end of the morning, they were my inspiration!
The Saturday was a lovely day. Sunny, clear, and warm (in 50s or low 60s). The birds were out in full force and entertaining me on my run. Five miles is not an easy distance for me and I am working on my endurance for the length. Somewhere around the three mile point, I finally found myself in the "zone" and loving the birds who sang such beautiful songs. In fact, my thoughts on the birds may have been the distraction that took my focus from the uneven pavement.
In adrenaline induced slow motion, my first signal I was falling was my glasses flying off my face along with my visor. Then faster, the pavement was approaching my face! Luckily I was able to stop the impact with my face and not break any bones! However, my sweat pants and knees did not get off uninjured. As I lay on the ground at the end of some one's driveway, just feet from the smooth bike path, the injuries were assessed. No broken bones, but swelling and scrapes. As I lay there wondering if I should get up, I thought back to the Olympics from the last couple of nights. Surely, if the women who crashed could get up and then compete the next day, I should be able to get up and somehow get home. The first few steps were the toughest. My right leg did not like weight on it. So, I pulled out my cell phone and called my husband. As usual, his phone was turned off and in the car. Not sure why I carry a phone when I run!
So, there was no choice but to continue along the path. At first it was a hobble walk, but slowly, I worked back up to a slow jog. Luck would have it there was a dog on the path who let me pet her. That always brings good vibes and strength to continue. I made it home safely with a greater appreciation for the strength and determination of the olympic athletes.

No comments: